Carpenters Almshouses

Hampton Road, Twickenham, TW2 5QJ


In 1840 the Carpenters Company bought 8 acres of land in Twickenham on which to build a second collection of almshouses. The first - Wyatt's Almshouses - had been built in Farncombe, near Godalming in Surrey, during the 17th century.

The new almshouses consisted of 10 dwellings, accommodating 15 elderly poor Liverymen or Freemen of the Company and their wives, or their widows. Originally designed to have a wing either side of a central block - thus enclosing a courtyard - only the central section was built. In front of the almshouses was an extensive garden with a lawn.

The almspeople each received a weekly stipend of 12 shillings (60p).

The almshouses were placed under the supervision of the Middle Warden (later Master) of the Company, Mr William Fuller Pocock, the architect who had designed the building. He visited the almshouses once a month, while the Court of the Company made an annual visit in the last week of June.

In 1947 the Company was obliged to sell the site to Twickenham Borough Council, who rehoused the almspeople.


Current status

The buildings were demolished around 1951.  Their site is now occupied by Carpenters Court, a council housing complex.

N.B. Photographs obtained in March 2021

Carpenters Almshouses

Carpenters Court (above and below) was built in the 1950s.

Carpenters Almshouses

References (Accessed 3rd July 2021)

Jupp EB 1848 An Historical Account of the Worshipful Company of the City of London. London, William Pickering. 262-263.

Last updated 3rd July 2021

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page