Church Estate Almshouses

2 St Mary's Grove, Sheen Road, Richmond, TW9 1UX


The Almshouses opened in 1844, built by the Richmond Church Charity Estates, considered to be the oldest charity in Richmond.

The two-storey building, adajcent to Hickey's Almshouses, contained 10 dwellings, each consisting of two rooms, for 5 poor elderly men and 5 poor elderly women who were members of the Church of England. The residents were permitted to use the chapel in Hickey's Almshouses.

In 1967 the almshouses were renovated and two small blocks were built behind them, each containing four studio apartments.

In 1983 the original almshouse building was listed Grade II.

The Richmond Church Charity Estates merged with the Richmond Charities in 2004.

In 2005 one of the 1967 blocks was extended and its studio apartments converted into four single-bedroom dwellings.


Current status

The Almshouses are managed by the Richmond Charities. They contain 10 single-bedroom residences in the original two-storey building, and four single-bedroom apartments and four studio apartments in the later single-storey blocks.

N.B. Photographs obtained in May 2020

Church Estate Almshouses

The almshouses, as seen from across Sheen Road.

Church Estate Almshouses

The buildings have distinctive tall chimneys.

Church Estate Almshouses

The terrace of almshouses faces onto Sheen Road, set behind an expanse of lawn with trees and flowerbeds. Access to the buildings is from the side road - St Mary's Grove.

References (Accessed 17th February 2021) (1) (2)

Last updated 17th February 2021

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page