David Salter's Almshouses

behind 160 High Street, Watford, Herts WD17 2ET


On 6th October 1843 David Salter (1771-1848), a deacon of the Watford Baptist Meeting House, gave by deed a plot of land to trustees on which to build four almshouses.

The single-storey almshouses, located behind the Three Crowns public house, were built as a single block. Each dwelling was to occupied by a poor married couple or an unmarried poor person of either sex, whether receiving parochial relief or not. Each almsperson had to be aged 50 years or over, and of good character.

Salter died five years later, having endowed the almshouses by his will. The inmates of each almshouse received an annual stipend of £6 18s (£6.90) from his established charity.

In 1958 the local Council made plans to demolish the almshouses, so that the car park behind the Three Crowns could be enlarged. The buildings, which were in a poor state of repair, were demolished in 1960.


Current status

The David Salters Almshouses charity still exists (having lost its apostrophe) and provides accommodation in various apartment blocks in association with the Watford Community Housing Trust.

N.B. Photographs obtained in March 2021

David Salter's Almshouses

The site is now roughly on the north side of the Exchange Road bypass.

David Salter's Almshouses

The site from the north, as seen from The Crescent.

References (Accessed 24th March 2021)

Last updated 24th March 2021

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page