Garrett's Almshouses

76-86 Wood Street, Barnet, EN5 4BW


On his death in 1728 John Garrett, a merchant and citizen of London, left £800 to build and endow almshouses for six poor elderly widows.

The almshouses opened in 1731, having been built just to the left of Jesus Hospital. The single-storey building had a tiled roof. A stone plaque was mounted on the end gable.

The buildings were restored in 1902.

In 1949 the Jesus Hospital Charity took over management of the almshouses.

The almshouses were renovated again in 1982.


Current status

The buildings are now Grade II listed.

N.B. Photographs obtained in January 2020

Garrett's Almshouses

The almshouses along Wood Street.

Garrett's Almshouses

The stone plaque can be seen on the end gable.

References (Accessed 1st June 2022)

Lysons D 1811 The Environs of London, Vol 1. London, Cadell and Davies, 756-757. (1) (2) (1) (2)

Last updated 1st June 2022

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page