Hedger's Almshouses

Hedger's Court, Webber Row, Lambeth, SE1 7LF


On 19th August 1797 James Hedger founded 9 almshouses in Hedger's Court, Webber Row.

Hedger had made his immense wealth from property speculation. He was the proprietor of the Dog and Duck Tavern, a place renowned for the licentiousness and depravity of both sexes who frequented it (the Surrey magistrates eventually withheld licenses to this sink of iniquity and it closed in 1799).

The terrace of 2-storey almshouses provided accommodation for nine poor elderly women of 50 years or over, with preference given to widows and daughters of his old tenants. Each almswoman had two rooms.

The almshouses were endowed as a charity by an indenture of 24th October 1805 between Hedger and his sons, whom he appointed as his trustees. Income from other properties provided an income to support the almswomen and to maintain the buildings.

At the beginning of the 20th century, Webber Row, described as a street where small, dilapidated and insanitary houses existed close to an open space "upon which small, dark and tumbledown almshouses abut" was renamed Park Place.

In 1901 the almshouses, which were located behind Nos. 7-14 Park Place, were reconstructed. Their street address then became Nos. 1-9 Carlisle Street (later Lane).

By 1955 the almshouses had only three residents. The charity decided to put the buildings up for sale and to rehouse the tenants temporarily until modern almshouses were built elsewhere.


Current status

A site of 0.76 acres was purchased for £1,715 in Morrow, Guildford, bythe charity in 1960. In 1965 seven single-storey almshouses had been built at a cost of £12,500 and the almswomen were relocated there. Signage on one of the buildings reads: HEDGER'S ALMSHOUSES Founded & endowed by James Hedger 19 August 1797 Re-erected on this site 1963.

By 1968 the nine almshouses in London had been converted into five dwellings and renamed Penhurst Place.

N.B. Photographs obtained in November 2020

Hedger's Almshouses

The almshouse buildings are now known as Penhurst Place.

Hedger's Almshouses

The southern side of the buildings.

Hedger's Almshouses

The northern rear elevation, as seen from Carlisle Lane.

References (Accessed 2nd April 2021)

Last updated 2nd April 2021

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page