Joel Emanuel Almshouses

Egerton Road, Stamford Hill, N16 6UE


In 1904 the Joel Emanuel Almshouses in Wellclose Square were sold and the residents transferred to new premises built in Egerton Road.

The new almshouses consisted of 20 dwellings arranged around three sides of a large quadrangle.

In the 1960s the buildings accommodated some 44 elderly people, including married couples and single women or widows. The almshouses were administered by the Board of Guardians and Trustees for the Relief of the Jewish Poor.

In 1977 the buildings were acquired by the Bobow Chasidim.


Current status

The community centre of the Bobow Chasidim now occupies both sides of Egerton Road - the almshouses since 1980 and, since 1987, the old New (United) Synagogue.

The Joel Emanuel Almshouse Trust is a registered social landlord wholly owned by Jewish Care and connected to Sidney Corob House.

N.B. Photographs obtained in August 2020

Joel Emanuel Almshouses

The former almshouses are located opposite the former New Synagogue in Egerton Road.

Joel Emanuel Almshouses

The entrance way to the courtyard.

Joel Emanuel Almshouses

The almost illegible foundation stone states: Joel Emanuel Almshouses founded 1840 removed from Wellclose Square 1904.

References (Accessed 2nd May 2021)

Davies RG 1962 Annual Report on the Health of the Borough. London, Borough of Hackney. p.81.

Last updated 2nd May 2021

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page