|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Esher Red Cross Hospital
The Lammas, 8 Lammas Lane, Esher, Surrey KT10 8NY
During WW1 The Lammas, the 18th century Rectory for Christ Church, Esher, became an auxiliary Hospital for the Third London (T.F.) General Hospital. The house had been lent by Lord and Lady d'Abernon (Lady d'Abernon became the Honorary Commandant of the local Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D.) serving at the Hospital).
The Lammas Hospital opened in May 1915 and had 32 beds for convalescent servicemen (the average weekly number of patients was 30). The nursing staff comprised a Sister-in-charge, 9 V.A.D. nurses and 9 members of the V.A.D. who provided general service - cooking, cleaning, etc.
The Hospital remained open throughout the war apart from four weeks in 1916, when it was closed for thorough cleaning.
In 1917, when it had 35 beds, it was renamed the Esher Red Cross Hospital. Some 287 patients were treated during that year. As many were from Newfoundland, the Newfoundland War Contingent Association provided them with tobacco, and arranged tickets for them to attend entertainments in London.
The Hospital closed in 1919.
Present status (June 2011)
In 1984 the brown brick building was Grade II listed.
The Lammas (above and below).
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
http://cgi.ebay.ie (accessed August 2011)
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page