Pagitt's Almshouses

Hadley Green Road, Monken Hadley, EN5 5PZ


In 1678 Justinian Pagitt and his wife Antonia conveyed the old red brick vicarage house at the Church of St Mary the Virgin to trustees to provide dwellings for the incumbent and the parish clerk, as well as six almshouses for poor elderly couples or single women of good character.

In 1788 two of the almshouses were leased to the incumbent so as to enlarge the Rectory house (as it was then called) and to raise funds to repair the remaining four almshouses.

When £200 had been raised by subscription, around 1822 the almshouse building was rebuilt on an adjoining part of the Rectory garden east of the church (the Rector took the old site in exchange). The new two-storey brick building had Gothic doors and windows and the frontage was faced with knapped flint. It contained four almshouses.

In 1848 another two almshouses were added to the south end of the building, at a cost of £50.

In 1961 a smaller red brick block was added.

In 1999 the Jesus Hospital Charity took over management of the almshouses.


Current status

The buildings are Grade II listed.

N.B. Photograph obtained in February 2020

Pagitt's Almshouses

A modern plaque at the side of the front door of the 1822 building acknowledges the founding of the almshouses in 1678.

References (Accessed 4th June 2022)

Cass FC 1880 Monken Hadley. Transactions of the London and Middlesex Archaeological Society. London, JH & J Parker, 80.
Cass FC 1881 Queen Elizabeth's School at Chipping Barnet, A.D. 1573 to 1665. Transactions of the London and Middlesex Archaeological Society. JH & J Parker, 71-72. (1) (2) (1) (2) (3)

Last updated 4th June 2022

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page