Ravenscroft Cottages

Grasvenor Avenue, Barnet, EN5 2DA


Following the success of their new almshouses in Potters Lane, the Jesus Hospital Charity made plans to build more.

In September 1930 just over an acre of land in Grasvenor Avenue was purchased from Barnet Council.

Twelve cottages were completed in 1934 and, like the Potters Lane almshouses, were named after the founder of the charity, James Ravenscroft.

The discreet single-storey buildings were set in two long curved terraces lower than the road. Each almshouse had its own shallow garden at the front and a more extensive one at the rear, which opened onto a generous shared garden space.

Nine women from Chipping Barnet and three from East Barnet were selected to be the first tenants.

In 1950 two more almshouses were added to the site - Nos. 14 and 15 (there is no No. 13).


Current status

The buildings continue to be managed by the Jesus Hospital Charity.

N.B. Photographs obtained in January 2020

Ravenscroft Cottages, Grasvenor Avenue

The main entrance to the almshouses on Grasvenor Avenue.

The buildings back onto the Barnet Playing Fields.


Ravenscroft Cottages, Grasvenor Avenue

The single-storey cottages are set lower than the road (above and below).

Ravenscroft Cottages, Grasvenor Avenue

References (Accessed 25th May 2022)
Webb Y 2017 The Jesus Hospital Almshouses. Barnet History Journal 1, 19-21.

Last updated 25th May 2022

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page