Trinity Homes

(also known as Bailey's Almshouses)

28 Acre Lane, Brixton, SW2 5SG


The Trinity Asylum for Aged Persons was founded in 1822 by Thomas Bailey, a cut-glass manufacturer of the City of London, who lived in Bethal House, Brixton.

The Asylum opened in 1824. It lay parallel to Acre Lane and accommodated 12 poor elderly women who "professed faith in the Holy Trinity".

The buildings consisted of two blocks - the front one had eight apartments and the rear one four. Each apartment had two rooms and was fitted with a stove and an iron bedstead; the rest of the furniture and cooking utensils had to be provided by the resident.

Candidates for admission had to be members of the Church of England and between 57 and 67 years of age. Each almswoman received an annuity of £10 and 12 sacks of coal, but were also required to have a personal annual income of £20. The women were required to go to church on Sundays - twice in the summer but only once in winter. They were not permitted to keep chickens or rabbits, nor allowed to put flowerpots or anything else on the outside windowsills.

In 1824 Bailey appointed seven trustees to manage the Asylum, and also endowed it with £2,000. However, he retained full control of the institution until his death in 1828.

In 1860 an additional building was added on the eastern part of the site at a cost of £575. This had four apartments, increaing the almshouse places to 16.


Current status

At some time in the 20th century the Asylum was renamed.  It is now known as Trinity Homes, run by a charity of the same name. It continues to provide  accommodation - now for both men and women aged 57 years or over, who are members of a Christian denomination and capable of independent living. The site contains 18 apartments and cottages, each with their own front door.

N.B. Photographs obtained in June 2011

Trinity Homes

The almshouses were Grade II listed in 1951.

Trinity Homes

Immediately below the sign "Trinity Homes" under the pediment is the inscription "Erected 1822" and, along the first floor sill band is written "Built and endowed by Thomas Bailey".

References (Accessed 18th April 2021)

Brayley EW 1841 A Topographical History of Surrey, Vol. 3. London, David Bogue.
Lewis S 1831 A Topographical Dictionary of England, Vol. 1. London, S. Lewis & Co. (1) (2) (3) (1) (2) (1) (2)

Last updated 18th April 2021

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page