|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
Coleshill Convalescent Home
Village Road, Coleshill, Nr Amersham, Bucks HP7 0LG
|1919 - 1939
In the summer of 1919 the Governors of the Samaritan Free Hospital for Women purchased a large house, Wallers Oak, to replace Brickwick as a convalescent home. It had been noted that wounds healed more quickly in the elevated atmosphere of the hamlet of Coleshill. The Hospital Committee had been much helped by Mrs Edward Nash, the wife of the Treasurer, who had organised a most successful matinee at the Merchant Taylors' Hall, raising £1,150.
The Convalescent Home was officially opened on 27th June 1919 by Lady Portman. It had 12 beds.
A Mr Hammick undertook the post of Honorary Gardener to the Home.
In 1922 Mrs Nash raised £2,000, the interest of which was to be devoted to the provision of convalescent treatment, free of cost, to the most needy patients.
The Home closed in 1939 at the outbreak of WW2 and the building was sold in 1946 for £3,034.
Present status (December 2011)
The property is once again a private residence.
Wallers Oak was built in 1909 as a vicarage for All Saints Church at a cost of £929. The house was named after the ancient oak tree in the garden under which the lyric poet Edmund Waller (1605-1685) was reputed to have composed some of his verses. Sadly, the tree is now no more.
The external details of the property have changed over the years, but it remains recognisable.
Coleshill Convalescent Hospital in c. 1925.
(Photography courtesy of the Coleshill History Group)
Most of the information on this Hospital was provided by the Coleshill History Group, and grateful acknowledgement is given to the Group for their help.
Oxford AW 1931 The History of the Samaritan Free Hospital. Cambridge, W. Heffers & Sons Ltd.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page