Hornsey Auxiliary Military Hospital
Durham House, 102 Crouch Hill, Hornsey, N8 9EB
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1916 - 1919

Convalescent (military)
The Hornsey Auxiliary Military Hospital officially opened on 24th June 1916 in a school building adapted for the purpose.  New sanitary faciilities had also been added.

The Hospital was affiliated to the Edmonton Military Hospital.  It had 72 beds located in 8 wards, including a temporary hut which had been built in the grounds.  There were also 3 beds in reserve.

Dr Howard Davies was the Medical Office in charge and the Hospital was staffed by the local Voluntary Aid Detachment.

The number of beds were later increased to 90 and, by 1918, 130.

The Hospital presumably closed in 1919.

Present status (October 2010)

The site of Durham House School is now occupied by Ivor Court, an apartment block.

 Ivor Court
Ivor Court at No. 102 Crouch Hill.

I04 Crouch Hill
The house next-door at No. 104 was built around the same time as Durham House at the end of the 19th century.  It was also a school, named Cecile House, and may give an indication of how Durham House looked.  Today it is Kestral House School, an independent specialist school for autistic children.
Fenn CR 1919 Middlesex to Wit.  London, St Catherine Press.


Personal communication:  Members of the Archives Department, Hornsey  Historical Society.  Grateful thanks are offered for their help.
Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page