|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
The Grange Auxiliary Hospital
Ruxbury Road, St Ann's Hill, Chertsey, Surrey KT16 9EP
|1915 - 1919
The Grange Auxiliary Hospital opened on 30th January 1915 in a house lent by a Mrs Vivian Brettell. The house, built on the slopes of St Ann's Hill, a 20-minute walk away from Chertsey, was large and comfortable with pleasant grounds, mature shady trees, and tennis and croquet lawns.
At first the Hospital had 10 beds and received overflow patients from St George's Hill Auxiliary Hospital. By the end of March 1915 the beds were all occupied.
The bed complement was soon increased to 20, then 25, and the Hospital became affiliated to the Tooting Military Hospital. The nursing staff consisted of a Sister-in-charge and members of the Surrey/82, /96 and /122 Voluntary Aid Detachments (V.A.D.s).
By 1917 the Hospital had 30 beds for wounded servicemen, who usually stayed for about two weeks, receiving general treatment and massage (physiotherapy). The nursing staff now included a Matron and 2 resident V.A.D. nurses.
The Hospital closed on 23rd January 1919. During its operational lifetime, some 1,038 patients had been treated. The expenses of the Hospital, beyond the military grant, had been borne entirely locally, and included gifts of vegetables, fruit, flowers, cakes, etc.
Present status (October 2011)
Since 1965 the building has been a nursing home - the Grange Retirement Home. Two purpose-built extensions have been added, as well as a large conservatory. In 2008 the Home was completely refurbished and the number of rooms increased from 46 to 62.
The original building with extensions either side.
The entrance to The Grange.
The Grange Retirement Home.
(Author unstated) 1917 Red Cross work in Surrey during 1917. British Red Cross Society Surrey Branch, 5th Annual Report.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
(Author unstated) 1920 Red Cross work in Surrey 1918-1919. British Red Cross Society Surrey Branch.
Barker DM, Barker JL 1992 A Chertsey Camera: Historic Photographs of Chertsey, Ottershaw, Lyne and Longcross. Self-published.
Smith J 1996 Monograph No. 58. Auxiliary and Military Hospitals in Weybridge and Walton during the First World War. Walton and Weybridge Local Hospital Society.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page