|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
Mildmay Mission Hospital
Hackney Road, Shoreditch, E2 7NA
|1877 - 1982
During the cholera epidemic of 1866, the Revd William Pennefather (1816-1877), vicar of St Jude's in Mildmay Park, set out to help the East End sick, together with a team of Christian women (later to be known as Deaconesses).
In 1892 the Mildmay Mission Hospital, a charitable organisation, opened in Hackney Road as a memorial to Revd Pennefather and to serve the local population.
The Hospital joined the NHS in 1948 but government cutbacks in the early 1980s, singling out small district general hospitals as 'uneconomical', forced its closure in 1982.
Present status (December 2007)
The Hospital reopened in 1988 as an independent Christian charitable hospital caring for HIV/AIDS patients and their families. The first European AIDS hospice was established here.
The entrance to the Hospital on Hackney Road
The buildings off Austin Street
The back of the campus off Virginia Road
|The Mildmay Deaconess Institute was also responsible for the Mildmay Memorial Hospital in Islington.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page