|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Otto Schiff House
14 Netherall Gardens, NW3 5YQ
|1955 - 2010
During the 1920s the merchant banker and philanthropist Otto Schiff (1875-1952) acquired the mansion at No. 14 Netherall Gardens as a family home.
When he moved to Mayfair he handed the property to the Jewish Refugees Committee, which he had established in 1933 to assist German and Austrian Jews fleeing from Nazi persecution. The house was then used as their offices and also provided accommodation for refugee families.
In 1952 Schiff bequeathed the house to the Committee to provide a care home. In 1955 the Association of Jewish Refugees, which had been established in 1941, converted the building into a care home with 41 beds for elderly Jewish refugees.
In 1992 the building was adapted to provide sheltered accommodation for 25 people.
In 2010 the independent care home was incorporated into Jewish Care. The remaining residents were rehoused in the newly opened Otto Schiff, part of the £44m Maurice and Vivienne Wohl Campus in Limes Avenue, Golders Green.
Present status (June 2019)
The mansion was sold in 2010 to Godfrey London. In 2015 it was converted into 7 apartments and is now known as Otto Schiff House. A second building (Otto Schiff Mansions) was built next to it, also containing 7 apartments.
Otto Schiff House is on the corner of Netherall Gardens and Nutley Terrace.
Frontage of the house on Netherall Gardens.
The entrance to Otto Schiff House is in Nutley Terrace.
Otto Schiff Mansions was built beside Otto Schiff House.
|References (Accessed 14th April 2020)
(Author unstated) 1992 Volunteers' meetings. AJR Information 47 (8), 9.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page