|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
Queen Mary's Maternity Home
124 Heath Street, Hampstead, NW3 1DU
|1919 - 1975
This maternity home for the wives of servicemen was founded by Queen Mary to use the residue of funds from her Needlework Guild.
The Home opened in 1919 in temporary premises at Cedar Lawn, North End Road, provided by Lord Leverhulme, who also donated the site for the permanent building at Upper Heath (the former Upper Flask Inn), which opened in 1922 with 16 beds.
Queen Mary made frequent visits to the Home, donating her own crochet work for the cots.
In 1929 an additional ward, partly funded by the Queen, was erected and the number of beds increased to 25.
Further extensions were added in 1937, bringing the bed total to 38.
At the outbreak of WW2 in 1939 the Home moved to Eynsham Hall in Oxfordshire, and again to Freeland House, also in Oxfordshire. It returned to Hampstead in 1945.
In 1946, prior to the establishment of the NHS, at the request of Queen Mary, the London Hospital took over administration of the Home.
It remained with the London Hospital Group until 1972, when it was taken over by the Royal Free Hospital. The Home closed in 1975.
In 1986 the building was being used for staff accommodation and community health offices.
Present status (March 2008)
The building is now Queen Mary's House, a care home for the elderly, including a Day Hospital, which opened in 1991. The money for its refurbishment was obtained from the sale of New End Hospital, which closed in 1986.
The entrance from East Heath Road.
Queen Mary's House.
Queen Mary's House seen from across Heath Street (above and below).
|Queen Mary's Needlework Guild was established at the outbreak of WW1 to make and deliver clothes and other items to servicemen. It had many branches all over the world. At the end of the War it had collected a considerable amount of money which had not been spent.
24th October 2014)
Marks L 1996 Metropolitan Maternity: Maternal and Infant Welfare Services in Early Twentieth Century London. Amsterdan, Rodopi.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page