|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Roseneath Voluntary Hospital
Vicars Moor Lane, Winchmore Hill, N21
In 1914, at the beginning of WW1, William Thomas Paulin, J.P., offered Roseneath to the War Office for use as an auxiliary hospital.
The Roseneath Voluntary Hospital opened on 3rd December 1914, affiliated to the Edmonton Military Hospital. It was fully equipped and had 40 beds.
The Hospital had three trained nurses and was managed by the London/94 Voluntary Aid Detachment.
By October 1915 the number of beds had been increased to 50. Although open less than a year, some 1,600 wounded and sick servicemen had been treated.
By 1917 the Hospital had 74 beds and was affiliated to Colchester Military Hospital.
By 1918 it had 90 beds (some presumably in wooden hutted wards built in the 11 acres of grounds).
The Hospital closed in April 1919.
Present status (September 2010)
Roseneath was demolished in 1936. The area has been completely redeveloped.
Looking down the mouth of Ringwood Way from Vicars Moor Lane towards the site of the former Hospital.
St Paul's Church of England Primary School in Ringwood Way was rebuilt in 1960 in the former grounds of the house.
The grounds of the School contain mature trees, perhaps from the Hospital era.
Roseneath Avenue is presumably named after the house, but is not located on part of the estate.
12th October 2014)
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
Fenn CR 1919 Middlesex to Wit. London, St Catherine Press.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page