|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Spalding Hall V.A.D. Hospital
Spalding Hall, Victoria Road, Hendon NW4 2BE
|1915 - 1919
In December 1914 the Hendon Congregationalist Church allowed Spalding Hall to be used as an auxiliary military hospital for the duration of the war. It opened in 1915 with 20 beds and was run by the local Middlesex/16 Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D.). The British Red Cross Society supplied 3 trained nurses.Later the Hospital had 50 beds and was affiliated to the Edmonton Military Hospital.
By 1917 the children of Hendon had collected 5,000 eggs for the Hospital, as well as donated about £60.
The Hospital closed in 1919.
Present status (April 2009)
The building now houses the Nautilus Health Club (Hendon), as well as some vacant offices.
Spalding Hall was named after Thomas Spalding, one of the founder members of the Hendon Congregationalists.
On the left, inside the porch, is the foundation stone and, on the right, beside the door, a commemorative plaque regarding the building's use as a hospital during WW1.
The foundation stone of the Hall, laid in 1901.
The commemorative plaque states "This Hall was used as a hospital during the Great War 1914-1919".
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.0.
(Author unstated) 1917 News in brief. The Red Cross 4, 42.
Fenn CR 1919 Middlesex to Wit. London, St Catherine Press.
Gilles S, Taylor R 1993 Hendon, Child's Hill, Golders Green and Mill Hill. Chichester, Phillimore.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page