|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
St Anne's House
77 Manor Road, Stamford Hill, N16 5BL
|1878 - current
St Anne's House was built in 1878 by the Little Sisters of the Poor, a Roman Catholic order, as a convent and home for the elderly. It was the third such home to be opened in London by the Sisters - the other two were St Joseph's Home in Portobello Road, North Kensington and St Peter's Residence in Meadow Road, South Lambeth.
In 1895 a chapel was added to the site and, in 1899, a new building.
By 1915 additional buildings had been erected on the extensive site.
During WW2 (1939-1945) the home suffered significant bomb damage. It was rebuilt after the war.
By the end of the 20th century the 4-storey main building had become uneconomical and increasingly expensive to maintain, whilst refurbishment was not a viable option.
Although Locally Listed, planning permission was granted in 2004 for the home to be demolished and replaced. Building work began in 2005.
The new £25m Home was officially opened on 19th March 2009 by Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor.
Present status (June 2013)
Now known as St Anne's Care Home for the Elderly, it is still under the management of the Little Sisters of the Poor.
The site contains a care home with 34 single rooms for those requiring nursing care, as well as apartments for those able to live more independently. Convent accommodation and a large chapel have been provided for the Little Sisters of the Poor. There are also facilities for arts and crafts, a hairdresser, a library, an auditorium, a cafe and shops.
St Anne's Care Home for the Elderly, from the east.
The Home from the west (above and below)
|References (Accessed 13th March 2018)
Leroy A 1906 History of the Little Sisters of the Poor. London, Burns, Oates and Washbourne, 296.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page