Auxiliary Home Hospital
 The Rookery, Bromley Common, Kent BR2 8HE
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1914 -1915

Convalescent (military)
In October 1914 Mr and Mrs Archibald Cameron Norman lent three large rooms in their home, The Rookery, for use as an auxiliary military hospital.

The Hospital had 18 beds in three wards and was managed by the Kent/50 Voluntary Aid Detachment.

It closed in 1915 when a larger hospital opened in Oakley House.

Present status (November 2010

In 1940 during WW2, The Rookery, which had been the home of the Norman family for 200 years, was requisitioned by the government.  

In 1946 the building was destroyed by fire.

Its site is now occupied by Bromley College.

Bromley College
The eastern elevation of Bromley College, as seen from Bromley Common.

Bromley College
The College from the northeast, on Rookery Lane.
Creswick P, Pond GS, Ashton PH 1915 Kent's Care for the Wounded.  London, Hodder & Stoughton.

Walker J 1979 The British Red Cross in the Bromley area 1910-1919.  Bromley Local History 4, 17-23.

Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page