|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Oakley Auxiliary Hospital
Oakley House, 358 Bromley Common, Bromley,
Kent BR2 8HA
|1915 - 1919
In 1915 the Oakley Auxiliary Hospital opened in Oakley House, which had been lent by Mr Archibald Cameron Norman, who had also lent part of his home, The Rookery, for use as an auxiliary hospital.
The Hospital was affiliated to the Ontario Military Hospital in Orpington, and was managed by the Kent/50 Voluntary Aid Detachment. It had 50 beds for sick and injured servicemen, an operating theatre and an X-ray Department. There was also a Massage Department which was fully equipped to provide electrical treatment and also had an installation for hot-air treatment for joint disorders.
The Hospital replaced three smaller hospitals which closed - the Primitive Methodists Schools, The Rookery and Lodore.
In 1916 another 20 beds were added. (These were later set aside for patients with facial injuries from the Queen's Auxiliary Hospital in Sidcup.) The Hospital then had 70 beds.
The Hospital closed in 1919. During its operational lifetime, some 1,400 patients had received treatment.
Present status (December 2010)
The entrance drive (left) and the North Lodge (right).
The house, as seen from across the fields. It was Grade II listed in 1973.
The former South Lodge.
Creswick P, Pond GS, Ashton PH 1915 Kent's Care for the Wounded. London, Hodder & Stoughton.
Walker J 1979 The British Red Cross in the Bromley area 1910-1919. Bromley Local History 4, 17-23.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page