|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Twickenham Isolation Hospital
Nelson Road, Whitton, Middlesex TW2
|1909 - 1938
In 1883 a small isolation hospital was opened by the Council. It had been built north of the railway line, adjacent to the sewage works, on a piece of wasteland known as Mereway.
In 1901 Cross Deep House, an 18th century mansion, was rented by the Council for use by patients convalescing from scarlet fever, who had been discharged from Mereway.
On 10th January 1902, during the smallpox epidemic, Mereway was prepared to receive smallpox patients, while its scarlet fever patients were transferred to Cross Deep House.
In 1906 work began in Whitton on a new isolation hospital for Twickenham on a 7 acre site off the Nelson Road.
The Twickenham Isolation Hospital opened in 1909. The isolation hospital on the Mereway site continued in use as well, at least during WW1 (1914-1918), but Cross Deep House had closed.
In April 1935 control of the Hospital was taken over by the South Middlesex and Richmond Joint Hospital Board, which also assumed control of the Isolation Hospitals at Mogden and Hampton. Following a reorganisation in September, all acute cases were sent to Mogden Isolation Hospital. Twickenham Isolation Hospital was then used only for patients with enteric fever, scarlet fever or some rare infection.
The Hospital closed in 1938 when the Mogden Isolation Hospital was substantially extended.
Present status (May 2009)
The Hospital had been demolished by the 1960s and the area redeveloped with new housing.
The first isolation hospital buildings, built in 1883 on the Mereway wasteland, survived until at least 1934. After WW2 (1939-1945) the neighbouring sewage works were replaced by a corporation depot. The Hospital buildings were demolished and incorporated into the depot. Richmond Council Depot currently occupies the site.
By 1896 the land south of the railway had become allotment gardens run by the local Council; the driveway off Mereway Road to the hospital ran through the middle of the plots. In the 1990s the land was abandoned and left to regenerate naturally. It is now the Mereway Nature Park.
The location of Cross Deep House was on the northern corner of Cross Deep and Riverview Gardens; the area around has been completely redeveloped. Cross Deep House was demolished in 1906. Its riverside garden is now part of Radnor Gardens.
Looking westward along River View Gardens - Cross Deep House would have been on the right.
The second Isolation Hospital, built in 1909, was located on the corner of Nelson Road and what is now the southern entrance to Collingwood Close.
|References (Accessed 16th January 2019)
Sykes JFJ 1902 Report of the Medical Officer of Health. County Council of Middlesex, 60, 184-185.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page