Clayponds Maternity Hospital

69 Occupation Lane, South Ealing, W5 4RN

Medical dates:

Medical character:

1904 - current

Infectious diseases. Later, maternity, then rehabilitation

The Chiswick Isolation Hospital opened on the corner of Clayponds Lane and Occupation Lane in 1904, on a site immediately to the south of the Ealing Isolation Hospital.

In 1921 it became a maternity hospital and was renamed the Clayponds Maternity Hospital, serving the Brentford, Chiswick and Ealing districts.

In 1937 maternity services moved to the newly opened Perivale Maternity Hospital, and the Clayponds Maternity Hospital was annexed to the Ealing and Chiswick Isolation Hospital.

In 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS under the control of the South West Middlesex Hospital Management Committee, part of the North West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board. It had 140 beds and, together with the Perivale Maternity Hospital, was integrated with the King Edward Memorial Hospital.



Present status (January 2008)

The Hospital has been rebuilt as a 78-bedded Rehabilitation Centre, purpose-built for wheelchair users. It is managed by Ealing Primary Care Trust.


Update:  November 2014

The Hospital currently has three wards - Rosemary Ward (for the rehabilitation of stroke patients discharged from the specialised stroke units in Charing Cross Hospital and Northwick Park Hospital, Magnolia Ward for patients needing extra care but not the specialised nursing care in an acute hospital, and Jasmine Ward for patients discharged from an acute hospital but in need of rehabilitation before returning home.

The Ealing Clinical Commisioning Group, to whom the Hospital now belongs, is seeking to move the services on the site to Ealing Hospital. Thus, Clayponds may be due to close in 2015.


Clayponds HospitalClayponds Hospital

The newly rebuilt Clayponds Hospital.

Main entrance

The main entrance.

References (Accessed 12th November 2014)

New O 2014 Latest local NHS news. Neighbours' Paper 70 (Autumn), 3.






Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page