|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
King Edward Memorial Hospital
64 Occupation Lane, Ealing, W5 4RA
|1884 - 1997
Infectious diseases. Later, mainly acute
The Ealing Isolation Hospital opened in 1884 on the north side of Occupation Lane in Brentford.
By 1902 it had been extended to provide 12 permanent beds, with a further 12 beds in a temporary wing.
By 1911 it had 55 beds. In February of that year the Hospital had to be evacuated one evening when a fire broke out in the western portion of the north wing. The roof, which had been covered with tarred felt, was destroyed.
In 1921, following the formation of the Ealing and Chiswick Joint Hospital Committee, it became the isolation hospital for Chiswick and Ealing. The nearby Brentford Isolation Hospital became its annex and the two hospitals became the Chiswick and Ealing Isolation Hospital.
In 1932 a father shot his daughter, a young Probationer and then himself. The Matron was injured while trying to prevent the tragedy.
In 1937, when maternity services moved to the newly opened Perivale Maternity Hospital, the Clayponds Maternity Hospital on the opposite side of Occupation Lane, also came under its administration. By this time the Hospital was accepting more general cases.
In 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS under the control of the South West Middlesex Hospital Management Committee, part of the North West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board. It had 140 beds and, together with the Perivale Maternity Hospital, was integrated with the King Edward Memorial Hospital.
In 1952 the Hospital 44 staffed beds; 96 beds were unstaffed because of a nationwide shortage of nurses. It received orthopaedic patients from the King Edward Memorial Hospital and the Central Middlesex Hospital.
In 1973 the Hospital, which by then had 128 beds, became the Clayponds branch of the King Edward Memorial Hospital.
It closed in 1979 when the new Ealing Hospital opened in Hanwell.
Present status (January 2008)
The Hospital buildings have been demolished and the site of the original Ealing Isolation Hospital now contains Clayponds Village, a self-contained student housing estate owned by Imperial College.
Clayponds Village lies within the original walls of the former Hospital. It contains 138 houses and flats for up to 330 students.
(Author unstated) 1911 The call of duty. British Journal of Nursing, 11th February, 101.
(Author unstated) 1932 Nursing echoes. British Journal of Nursing (August), 222.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page