Ealing Almshouses

64-71 The Mall, Ealing Broadway, W5 5LS


In 1783 the parish built four almshouses on the Uxbridge Road (later renamed The Mall). Part of the expenses for the buildings was met by Henry Beaufoy (1750-1795) of Castle Hill Lodge, in return for his having enclosed wastelands along the same road.

By 1832 the buildings were in a state of disrepair and, by 1840, they had been converted into seven apartments for almspeople.

The almshouses lacked an endowment but in 1867 they began to receive a yearly income of £25 from the allotments on Ealing Dean common.

By 1870 the buildings were again dilapidated, but with the help of subscriptions and sums from the reorganised Bowman's charity, and the sale of lammas land (land on which, in medieval times, manor tenants could graze cattle after a harvest), the almshouses were rebuilt between 1872 and 1876.

The new buildings contained accommodation for ten almspeople, who received a stipend from two benefactors - J.S. Prosser, who bequeathed £323 of stock in his will of 1874, and £134 gifted by John Goodchild in 1884.

The almshouses closed when the new Ealing Almshouses opened in Church Gardens in 1903.


Current status

The almshouses were demolished. Their site is now occupied by a commercial building.

N.B. Photograph obtained in December 2019

Ealing Almshouses (old)

The parade of shops at Nos. 64-71 The Mall was built in 1903.

References (Accessed 9th August 2021)

Britton J 1816 The Beauties of England and Wales, Vol, 14, part 4.  London, Verner & Hood.
Lysons D 1811 The Environs of London: Middlesex. London, T. Cadell and W. Davies.
Oates J, Hounsell P 2014 Ealing. A Concise History. Stroud, Amberley Publishing.
www.british-history,ac,uk (1)
www.british (2)

Last updated 9th August 2021

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page