Bowman Court

Church Gardens. South Ealing, W5 4HJ


In 1900 land was purchased from Ealing Cottage Dwellings on which to build new almshouses to replace the Ealing Almshouses in The Mall.

The new almshouses opened in 1903, located just to the east and at a right-angle to the Church Homes almshouses. They provided accommodation for 12 people (in 1907 a married couple counted as one person).

In 1966 the buildings were known as The Almshouses but, at later stage, they were renamed Bowman Court after John Bowman, B.D., a parson of the parish who had died in 1649. He was regarded as a "sincere and paynfull preacher of God's word and a bowntifull & charitable reliever of ye poore". In his will he had bequeathed funds for the poor of Ealing.

In 1983 two bungalows were added to the site.

In 2004 the buildings underwent a major refubirshment.


Current status

The almshouses are now managed by Pathways. The accommodation consists of 12 single-bedroom apartments and 2 single-bedroom bungalows. Those eligible for admission must be aged 60 years or over and have lived in Ealing for two years.

N.B. Photographs obtained in December 2019

Bowman Court

The almshouses from the northwest (above) and from the southeast (below).

Bowman Court

Bowman Court

Just above the rose window in the centre of the building is a diamond-shaped stone plaque with the date '1903'.

References (Accessed 14th August 2021) (1) (2)

Last updated 14th August 2021

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page