St Mary's House

Church Gardens, South Ealing, W5 4HL


The Church Homes, built by the parish of St Mary's, were officially opened in 1900 by the Archdeacon of Middlesex.

The two-storey almshouses had been built in a free Tudor style, with half-timbered walls and a stone centrepiece. They accommodated 12 elderly poor Christians.

In 1902 new Ealing Almshouses (now Bowman Court) were built immediately to the east of the Church Homes to replace the ones in The Mall.

In 1996 the buildings were refurbished and extended, with the addition of a bungalow on either side. They were officially re-opened in May 1997 by the Duke of Gloucester, who afterwards opened the newly built Tawny Close Almshouses.

St Mary's Church Homes are also known as St Mary's House.

In June 2016 work began on the remodelling of two homes, with a GLA grant of £100,000. A year later, in June 2017, the extensions were opened by Dr Rupa Huq, MP for Ealing Central and Acton, and Cllr Simon Woodroofe, Mayor of Ealing.


Current status

The almshouses are managed by St Mary's Homes Trust. They consist of 12 single-bedroom apartments in the main block and two wheelchair-accessible apartments on either side, one of which is a 2-bedroom unit and the other a single-bedroom.

Residents of Ealing with limited means are eligible to apply for accommodation, but must be aged over 60 years
, members of the Church of England and capable of independent living.

N.B. Photographs obtained in December 2019

St Mary's House

The original almshouses, as seen from the northeast.

St Mary's House

The central section of the building has a stone plaque inscribed "St Mary's House".

St Mary's House

A single storey extension has been added to either side of the original building.

St Mary's House

The almshouses, as seen from the southwest.

References (Accessed 15th August 2021) (1) (2) (1) (2)

Last updated 15th August 2021

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page