Michel's Almshouses

The Vineyard, Richmond, TW10 6AH


The almshouses were founded in 1695 by Humphrey Michel, a local man who lived in a house on the corner of The Green and Duke Street. Following his death in 1696, the building was completed by his nephew John, who also increased the endowment.

The almshouses faced The Vineyard behind a small courtyard and were located nearby to Queen Elizabeth's Almshouses and Bishop Duppa's Almshouses. They provided 10 dwellings for elderly poor men.

In 1811 the almshouses were rebuilt. The 2-storey brick terrace had a central pediment over a slightly advanced centre. Above the central doorway, at the first-floor level, was mounted a large stone inscription and, above that, a cartouche with a carved coat of arms. Presumably the central part contained the chapel.

In 1858-1860 an extension was built at a right-angle to the existing block. Similar in appearance, it provided six additional dwellings.

By the 1880s elderly married couples were admitted to the almshouses, as were widowers and widows.

In 1956 the chapel was converted into a nurse's residence.

In 1968 the building was listed Grade II.

A one-bedroom bungalow was added to the site in 1990.

In 2005 one of the almshouses (No. 10) was converted into guest accommodation and office space.


Current status

The buildings are owned and managed by Richmond Charities, providing 17 single-bedroom apartments for those over 65 years of age living within the London Borough of Richmond.

N.B. Photographs obtained in March 2020

Michel's Almshouses

The gated entrance to the almshouses.

Michel's Almshouses

The almshouses built in 1811 are shown on the left of the image, and the ones added in 1858 to the right.

Michel's Almshouses

The central section of the 1811 almshouses (above) bears a coat of arms and a large stone plaque (below).

Michel's Almshouses


Michel's Almshouses

The side and rear elevations of the 1858 block.

Michel's Almshouses

A stone plaque on the side of the building states: "These six additional almshouses were erected A.D. 1858, on the foundation of Humphrey Michel, Esq." followed by a list of trustees.

References (Accessed 24th January 2021)

Last updated 24th January 2021

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page