Queen Elizabeth's Almshouses

The Vineyard, Richmond, TW10 6AL


The almshouses were founded in 1600 by Sir George Wright during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I (1533-1603).

Located in Petersham Road (the lower road under Richmond Hill), the almshouses were built under the same roof and provided accommodation for 8 poor elderly women. Each almswoman had two rooms.

Known originally as the Lower Almshouses, they were later renamed Queen Elizabeth's Almshouses.

By 1767 the building was derelict. William Turner arranged for the almshouses to be rebuilt on land at the top of his estate in The Vineyard, nearby to Michel's Almshouses. Public subscription raised funds for the building work.

In 1826 the almswomen were receiving a monthly stipend of £1, as well as a yearly allowance for bread, cheese and beer to the value of £4 10 shillings (£4.50), from the charity of Mrs Sarah Gaudy Debatt. The women also received clothing from the charity of Charles Selwyn. In the course of the year, a supply of coal costing £15 was divided equally among them.

Almost 100 years later, the almshouses were rebuilt again in 1857.

During WW2 (1939-1945) the buildings received some bomb damage.

In 1955 the almshouses were rebuilt once again. They now consist of four single-bedroom houses.


Current status

The almshouses are managed by the Richmond Charities. New residents are required to be aged 65 years or over.

N.B. Photographs obtained in March 2020

Queen Elizabeth's Almshouses

A stone plaque is mounted in the centre of the building at first-floor level.

Queen Elizabeth's Almshouses

The plaque reads: Q. ELIZABETH'S ALMSHOUSES. First erected under the hill Anno 1600 at the sole expence of Sr George Wright Knt for the accommodation of eight poor women. They were rebuilt in this site, on a more extensive plan, and the endowment augmented by the voluntary contributions of sundry gentlemen of this parish in the VIIth year of the reign of His Majesty King George III. Anno Domini 1767. They were again rebuilt in the form of four larger houses in the seventh year of the reign of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Anno Domini 1958.

Queen Elizabeth's Almshouses

The number of almshouses was reduced from eight to four in the 1955 rebuilding (above and below).

Queen Elizabeth's Almshouses

References (Accessed 6th February 2021)

(Author unstated) 1826 Wright's or Queen Elizabeth's Almshouse. Reports of the Commissioners Appointed in Pursuance of Acts of Parliament 12, 614-615.
Brayley EW 1841 A Topographical History of Surrey, vol. 3. London, David Rogue, p.91.
https://en.wikipedia/org (1) (2)

Last updated 19th February 2021

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page