Norris Almshouses

Handley Road, South Hackney, E9 7EG


Following the death of Revd Henry Hadley Norris (1771-1850), South Hackney's first rector, his parishioners began to raise funds to build almshouses in his memory. His widow donated £300 and his son Henry gave the land.

The almshouses opened in 1857, providing accommodation for four single women over the age of 60 who were members of the Church of England. Preference was given to those women evicted from Monger's Almshouses on the death of their husbands.

The building was set back from Victoria Park Road. Its central part was 2-storeys high, with an inscription under its gable. On either side of this was a single-storey wing, each containing two dwellings.

The almshouses were managed by the rector and churchwardens of South Hackney, together with a committee of subscribers.

In 1893 the four women each received a weekly pension of 2s 6d (Xp), as well as bread and coal, and a small discretionary stipend from the South Hackney Parochial Charity.

In 1965 the London Borough of Hackney agreed to provide a loan to the trust for rebuilding, on the provision that it would be entitled to nominate half the residents.

In 1967 the almshouses were rebuilt as Norris Court, an apartment block containing 11 dwellings for six couples, 5 single ladies and a warden.

In 1968 the requirement for residents to be members of the Church of England was dropped. The almshouses came under the control of the South Hackney Parochial Charity.

In 1979 the residents were required to pay small sums towards the cost of maintenence.

The building was renovated in 2002.


Current status

The almshouses, known variously as Norris Court, Norris Almshosues and Norris House, are under the management of the Hackney Parish Almshouse Charity.

N.B. Photographs obtained in June 2020

Norris Almshouses

The almshouses, as seen from the corner of Handley Road and Victoria Park Road (above) and along Handley Road (below).

Norris Almshouses


Norris Almshouses

The Port Office gives the address as Norris House, but the main entrance sports a sign saying "Norris Almshouses".

References (Accessed 29th December)

Last updated 29th December 2020

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page