Pilgrims Lodge

55 Lyme Grove, Hackney, E9 6PX


The Pilgrims Lodge was founded and endowed in 1863 by James Child, a veterinary surgeon who lived in Hackney.  It was built just to the southwest of the Bakers Almshouses on the opposite side of Lyme Grove.

The 2-storey building served as almshouses for 12 poor elderly women, aged at least 60 years, and members of the Trinity Congregational Chapel. Each resident had a single room. The almshouses were funded by rents from adjoining properties owned by the Trust - Nos. 32-36 Devonshire Road (later Brenthouse Road).

The building was modernised in 1958.

In 1963 the Lodge accommodated 12 teetotal elderly women, who were required to be members of a Christian church, and also a resident matron.

In 1989 the almshouses were converted into six one-bedroomed apartments for elderly men and women, with accommodation for a warden.

In 1995 the almshouses were modernised again.


Current status

Now run by Pathways, the Lodge is one of the few surviving historic almshouses of Hackney, proviving accommodation for independent living. It consists of seven one-bedroomed apartments - three on the ground floor, three on the first floor and one on two storeys.

N.B. Photographs obtained in May 2020

Pilgrims Lodge

The almshouses from the south along Lyme Grove.

Pilgrims Lodge

The main entrance.

Pilgrims Lodge

The building from the east (above) and from the northeast (below).

Pilgrims Lodge

References (Accessed 2nd January 2021)

Last updated 2nd January 2021

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page