|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
A brief history of healthcare provision in London
THE METROPOLITAN ASYLUMS BOARD
VENEREAL DISEASE HOSPITALS FOR FEMALES
In 1919, following ministerial concern about the rising numbers of women with venereal disease (VD), MAB established a hospital with 52 beds in Sheffield Street. Additional bed space was obtained at Thavies Inn for 20 mothers and their infants. This was later closed in 1932, but 20 beds and 16 cots were made available in 1931 at Sheffield Street for mothers with VD. The accommodation proved not to be large enough and arrangements were made for such wards to be set up at Bethnal Green, Lambeth and St Stephen's Hospitals.
Demand for the beds diminished with the introduction of sulphonamide drugs and penicillin, and the units at Lambeth and St Stephen's Hospitals closed during WW2, while Bethnal Green Hospital ceased to admit maternity cases.
Previous section: Epileptic colonies
Return to Contents list
Powell A 1930 The Metropolitan Asylums Board and Its Work 1867-1930. London, Metropolitan Asylums Board.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page