|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
50 Wood Lane, Stanmore, Middlesex HA7 4LQ
|1952 - 1978
In 1951 the National Corporation for the Care of Old People purchased Warren House from Sir John Fitzgerald. The 90-room, 3-storey mansion stood in 11 acres of grounds.
The property was converted into an old people's home, opening in 1952. It was furnished from the £1m 'Gift to Britain Fund', given by the South African government in 1946 to commemorate the South African troops killed during WW2 (1939-1945).
The mansion was renamed Springbok House to reflect its status as a war memorial.
In 1960 the Home received patients from the geriatric ward of the West Middlesex Hospital.
In 1964 management of the Home was transferred to the Hendon Group Hospital Management Committee.
In 1971, when it had 53 beds, the Home became a geriatric sub-unit (together with Orme Lodge) of Edgware General Hospital.
It closed in 1978.
Present status (September 2010)
The property stood empty and became derelict, due to repeated arson attacks. It was sold in 1984 and restored and converted into an Islamic training centre.
The Husseini Islamic Centre opened in 1987.
The House was built in the early 19th century, but extensively extended in the Neo-Jacobean style. It was Grade II-listed in 1976.
The porte-cochere, which divides the two wings, was added about 1871 (above and below).
|References (Accessed 2nd May 2018)
Hewlett G 2009 Stanmore Through Time. Stroud, Amberley Publishing.
Means R, Smith R 1998 From Poor Law to Community Care: The Development of Welfare Services for .... Bristol, Policy Press.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page