ALMSHOUSES OF LONDON

 

 

Almshouses in E postcode area


E1 Mile End 
 
E1 Spitalfields
  • Weavers' Company Almshouses, Blossom Terrace, Norton Folgate, E1

In his will of July 1725 Nicholas Garrett of Wandsworth bequeathed a sum of £1,000 to the Weavers Company to build and endow six almshouses for its members. These opened in 1729, having been built on a site known as Porter's Fields at a cost of £420 - the second almshouses built by the Company. Located on the north siude of Blossom Terrace (near Elder Street), they lay to the east of, and adjacent to, the Norton Folgate Almshouses.

The building was of red brick and had a tiled roof. The door for the almshouses on the eastern side was on the left of the ground floor windows, and on the right for thr other three on the western side. Each almshouse contained two rooms. The front of the building faced south and was set back from the street with a 5 ft (1.5 metres) wide pebbled pavement in front of a garden wall. Trees were planted behind the wall.

In 1732 they were described as 'very handsome almshouses'.

However, by 1845, the building was in such a 'generally decayed state' that the Company was compelled to consider rebuilding them. By good luck, the Commissioners of Works notified the Company that the property would be required for the construction of a new street - Commercial Street. On 2nd December 1851 the property was sold to the Commissioners for £2,400. The six residents were moved temporarily into three houses in Bonners Fields until the new Weavers Company Almshouses in Wanstead were available.

The building was demolished and its site today is occupied by the northen extension of Commercial Street and the rail line into Liverpool Street station.

 

E1 Stepney

 

E1 Whitechapel
  • Emanuel Almshouses I

  • John Baker's Almshouses

 

E2 Hackney
  • Goldsmiths' Almshouses

  • Hackney Road Almshouses

 

E2 Haggerston
  • Shoreditch New Almshouses

 

E2 Hoxton

The Almshouses opened in 1713, built on a piece of land measuring 198 ft by 82 ft (60 by 25 metres), immediately to the south of the Ironmongers Almshouses, in Kingsland Road. They had been established by the will of the draper Samuel Harwar, dated 28th January 1703, who bequeathed £1,700 for this purpose.

The single storey building contained 12 almshouses, six of which accommodated elderly widows or single Freemen of the Drapers Company and six elderly poor widows nominated by St Leonard's parish, Shoreditch. Each inhabitant received 6 shillings (30p) a month and 18 bushels of coal a year, supplied by the Drapers Company who administered the Almshouses.

By 1833 the monthly allowance had increased to £1 11s 6d (£1.58). The Company also provided a chaldron and a half of coal each year.

By the mid 19th century the building was in a state of disrepair and not considered worth restoring. It was demolished in 1879 and Thomas Street at the south side of the site was renamed Harwar Street in its memory (later it was renamed again as Cremer Street). The surviving funds from Samuel Harwar's Trust were transferred to the new Drapers Company Almshouses in Bruce Grove, Edmonton.  The site today contains Tower View House and a parade of shops.


E3 Bromley-by-Bow
  • Drapers' Almshouses

 

E5 Clapton
  • Hackney War Memorial Homes

  • Wood's Almshouses

 

E7 Forest Gate
  • Legg Whittuck Almshouses

 

E8 Hackney, Dalston
  • Pacifico Almshouses

  • Spurstowe House

  • Spurstowe's Almshouses

 

E9 Hackney, Homerton
  • Bakers' Almshouses

  • French Protestant Hospital, Victoria Park Road, South Hackney, E9 7HD

  • Goldsmiths' & Jewellers' Asylum

  • Hand-in-Hand Asylum

  • Monger's Almshouses

  • Norris's Almshouses

  • Pilgrims Lodge

  • Robinson's Retreat

  • Widows' Home Asylum

 

E10 Leyton
  • Leyton United Almshouses

  • London Master Bakers' Benevolent Institution

 

E11 Leytonstone, Wanstead

 

E15 Stratford, West Ham
  • Roger Harriss Almshouses

 

Last updated 29th July 2020

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page